10 - 12 September, 2018
NH Collection Tower, Barcelona
44 (0) 20 7368 9836
Main Day Two – 12th September 2018
8:30 am - 8:55 am Registration and Breakfast
8:55 am - 9:00 am Chairperson’s Opening Remarks:Michael Melvin, Academic Coordinator,Rady School of Management
Adjusting To A New FX Landscape
9:00 am - 9:20 am CIO Keynote Interview: Assessing the top currency trends in 2018/19 – How can you best respond and adapt your portfolio in a volatile geo-political environment?Geoffrey Yu, CIO and Head of UK Investment Office,UBS Wealth Management
Geoffrey manages a London-based team which specialises in UK-themed research content and asset allocation recommendations to the UBS Wealth Management Global Chief Investment Office. In addition, he serves as an investment strategist for European UHNW clients, providing cross-asset UHNW investment and trading ideas, incorporating the House View and UHNW TAA. Before joining UBS Wealth Management in January 2016, Geoffrey served as the senior G10 FX Strategist for UBS Investment Bank for a decade in London, Zurich and Singapore.
- Diversification, hedging and risk reduction – what are the drivers of a successful portfolio over the next 12 months and how can you position your portfolio?
- Risk vs. reward – where are the opportunities for FX investing in 2018 and what are the factors that drive these?
- How can you apply ‘out of the box’ thinking to drive your fund business and generate returns for your investors in an increasingly complex environment?
Geoffrey YuCIO and Head of UK Investment Office
UBS Wealth Management
9:20 am - 9:50 am Oxford Style Debate: True or False - With recent underperformance by alpha strategies, now is the time to move to smart beta for better returns in FXBrigitte Le Bris, Managing Director, Head of FX and Global EM,Natixis Asset Management Achim Walde, Senior Currency Overlay Manager,B. Metzler Emidio Sciulli, Partner & Portfolio Manager AHL Short Term Trading,MAN AHL *invited*
- Carry, value and momentum - Reassessing the signals that are driving currency alpha in 2018 and 2019
- Are the current features of the FX market more favorable to smart beta strategies, with traditional alpha strategies struggling due to market crowding and lack of proper risk controls?
- With smart beta portfolios paying out in other asset classes, what are the indications that they could now generate more returns in FX?
- Maximizing returns for your investors in 2018 and beyond - What trades should you focus on and what should you avoid?
Brigitte Le BrisManaging Director, Head of FX and Global EM
Natixis Asset Management
Achim WaldeSenior Currency Overlay Manager
Emidio SciulliPartner & Portfolio Manager AHL Short Term Trading
MAN AHL *invited*
9:50 am - 10:20 am All Star Panel: The evolving FX market structure – What are the major developments transforming European FX markets and how will this change the way you interact with your sell side, platform and technology counterparts?Gordon Noonan, Head of FX Trading,Schroder Investment Management Mauricio Sada-Paz, EMEA Head of eFICC Sales & Global Head of eFX Sales ,BAML Anthony Belchambers, Advisory Board Member,Financial Services Negotiating Forum Dave Reid, Global Head FX Prime Brokerage,Deutsche Bank
- Evolving product offerings, new technologies and regulatory pressures are all shaping FX trades – how is the role of the buy side FX desk changing in response?
- As the market structure evolves away from traditional Tier 1 bank dominance of liquidity provision, are we seeing a more level playing field between liquidity providers and liquidity takers?
- How far are electronic trading venues going beyond spot FX, with the e-trading of FX forwards, FX swaps and NDFs, and even OTC FX options?
- Is the market benefiting from a reduction of risk while promoting transparency?
- Are the more progressive buy side clients becoming FX market makers, due to credit intermediation by FXPB and brokerage firms?
Gordon NoonanHead of FX Trading
Schroder Investment Management
Mauricio Sada-PazEMEA Head of eFICC Sales & Global Head of eFX Sales
Anthony BelchambersAdvisory Board Member
Financial Services Negotiating Forum
Dave ReidGlobal Head FX Prime Brokerage
10:20 am - 10:40 am Sell Side Keynote: Expect the unexpected - Establishing the macro opportunities in FX in 2018/2019 and how you can capitalize on themGeorge Saravelos, Global Co-Head of FX Research,Deutsche Bank
- Central banks, politics, inflation and growth - What will be the year’s biggest surprise?
- Which is the world’s cheapest currency and what is the outlook for this in 2018/2019?
- Analyzing the best FX trade for 2018 - How can you build this into your portfolio and take advantage of this trade?
George SaravelosGlobal Co-Head of FX Research
10:40 am - 11:10 am Morning Coffee Break
Cryptocurrencies And Fintech Focus
11:10 am - 11:40 am Keynote Panel: Disrupt or be disrupted? Evaluating the emergence of cryptocurrencies and their potential place in your future FX portfolioDan Viola, Head of Regulatory and Compliance Group,Sadis and Goldberg David Woolcock, Chair of the Committee for Professionalism,ACI
- Who are the main players in the cryptocurrencies market you need to be aware of? How are existing FX market players developing trading innovations and product offerings in this space?
- What are the opportunities when trading cryptocurrencies and what is the potential for growth?
- What are the technological developments being made to facilitate the trading of cryptocurrencies?
- FAD or opportunity - Is there a viable place for cryptocurrencies in the FX desk of the future, and what place could they have as part of an investment portfolio?
- True or false – cryptocurrencies are a speculative fad, but the blockchain/distributed ledger technology behind them is the true market disruptor which will fundamentally alter the financial market
Dan ViolaHead of Regulatory and Compliance Group
Sadis and Goldberg
David WoolcockChair of the Committee for Professionalism
11:40 am - 12:00 pm Fintech Keynote: Staying ahead of the curve - What new FX products and services are tech firms launching and investing in to lead the innovation race?
- Technology as a disruptor - How are FinTech firms dragging FX markets into the digital age?
- What is driving innovation within FX and what challenges and opportunities does this present when providing a new service to the buy side?
- Technology for the future - How will electronic trading continue to evolve across FX and what will be the factors for success?
- Moving on from legacy technology - How are the buy side adopting new systems to become more adaptable to modern markets?
- What is the future of FX innovation and what impact will this have on a traders’ daily routine?
12:00 pm - 12:30 pm Dragons’ Den: Examining the greatest and latest innovations in FX trading technology: Which offer true added value and should be considered in your future investment plans?Julia Streets, Founder & CEO,Streets Consulting
Our ever popular Dragons’ den style innovation session returns with demos from pre-selected technology start-ups who will pitch their innovative tech to a panel of experts and you in the audience. The panel of experts will critique and assess their benefits to your business and their likelihood of future success. You will then have the opportunity to vote for the technology start-up you think is the most innovative and adds real value to your business. Will you find the next big thing?
Julia StreetsFounder & CEO
Special Guest Speaker
12:30 pm - 1:00 pm Inspirational Guest Speaker: Building a high performance team model and using the Moneyball matrix to find and retain top talentDamien Comolli, Former Sporting Director, and Former Head Scout,Liverpool FC & Tottenham Hotspur & Arsenal FC
Damien Comolli is a former football coach, scout and director of football, who has worked with clubs including Monaco, Saint-Étienne, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool and was responsible for high profile signings include Gareth Bale and Luis Suarez.
Damien ComolliFormer Sporting Director, and Former Head Scout
Liverpool FC & Tottenham Hotspur & Arsenal FC
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm Networking Lunch
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm Women In Trading Lunch: How Can The FX Industry Better Attract, Develop And Retain Top Female Talent?Virginie Queval, Head of FX Trading,Legal & General
Hosted By: Virginie Queval, Head of FX Trading, Legal & General
Participants Include: Kate Hill, Head of Market Structure, FX & Liquidity, Aviva Investors; Carola Jansen, Senior Portfolio Manager Treasury, Kempen Capital Management, Jane Brosbøl, Head of Systematic FX Trading, Nordea Asset Management
- How is the FX industry addressing the aspirations of women to develop in leadership roles?
- How are firms showcasing female talent contributing in the financial sector?
- Sharing common challenges with your female peers and finding solutions to address them
- What does it means to be a woman in the FX industry in 2018
Virginie QuevalHead of FX Trading
Legal & General
Track A: Exploiting Data And Technology Innovations2:00 pm - 2:30 pm Fireside Chat: Supercharging your market data capabilities – how can you effectively incorporate alternative data into your workflow to make more informed trading decisions? Ed Oliver, Director, Finance,Dataminr Jan Dehn, Head of Research,Ashmore *Invited*
- How can better quality market data create new investment and trading opportunities for the buy side and catapult their capabilities ahead of the competition?
- How can you integrate differentiated insights into your existing workflow, with alternative data (satellite information, weather data, foot traffic, etc) and social media data adoption a growing focus?
- How you can reduce fragmentation and understand different data points from different systems?
- What internal processes need to be in place to better analyse real time data and link with best execution?
Ed OliverDirector, Finance
Jan DehnHead of Research
Track A: Exploiting Data And Technology Innovations2:30 pm - 3:00 pm 360° Perspective: Sharing insights on machine learning and AI – how have we moved innovative ideas from concept to reality? Ian McWilliam, Investment Analyst,Aberdeen Asset Management Saeed Amen, Founder,Cuemacro
- What are the front office activities that can most benefit from AI and automation and how can deep learning be applied?
- How can you leverage AI to drive operational efficiencies and automation on your desk?
- How to best evaluate whether to outsource AI/machine learning capabilities or develop this in house – what are the key factors to consider? What types of skills are required?
- How will the increased data reporting as a result of MiFID II help machine learning?
- Examining the other applications for machine learning, such as trade surveillance, counterparty risk, and improved eTrading capabilities
Ian McWilliamInvestment Analyst
Aberdeen Asset Management
Track B: Optimising Investment Strategies2:00 pm - 3:00 pm Global Currency Roundtables: Breaking down geo-political boundaries – All you need to know about currency trends to meet your investment objectives across global jurisdictions Thomas Wind, Executive Director, Head of Foreign Exchange & Trading,Woodman Asset Management Abbas Ameli-Renani, Portfolio Manager, Global Macro,Algebris Investments Brigitte Le Bris, Managing Director, Head of FX and Global EM,Natixis Asset Management Paul Chappell, Chief Investment Officer,C View Thanos Papasavvas, Founder and CEO / Fixed Income and Currenc,ABP Invest and former Strategisy / Investec Asset Management
Join these informal, locality specific roundtables hosted by one individual expert in that jurisdiction. This is your chance to quiz a market expert on where the opportunities lie in a continent of your choice, and the implications this will have on currency investing. Each roundtable is limited to 10 buy side to entice an interactive, open discussion.
Drill down on the major macro indicators affecting each jurisdiction:
USA Roundtable - What impact is the Trump era continuing to have on US capital markets?
Europe Roundtable - What does Brexit and political instability mean for the European investment landscape?
China Roundtable - Are the Chinese debt woes coming to roost - What will happen with the currency regime in China and how will this impact the investment landscape?
EM Roundtable - Are emerging markets set to continue their rally in 2018/2019?
Latin America Roundtable - How is increasing growth potential and political reforms impacting investment opportunities?
Thomas WindExecutive Director, Head of Foreign Exchange & Trading
Woodman Asset Management
Abbas Ameli-RenaniPortfolio Manager, Global Macro
Brigitte Le BrisManaging Director, Head of FX and Global EM
Natixis Asset Management
Paul ChappellChief Investment Officer
Thanos PapasavvasFounder and CEO / Fixed Income and Currenc
ABP Invest and former Strategisy / Investec Asset Management
Workshop A Algo Deep Dive2:00 pm - 3:00 pm Synergy Workshop: How can you exploit next generation algos to sharpen your trading edge?
- What methods of algo trading are important for you to prosper in today’s electronic FX world?
- How can sell side expert shops use algorithms to offer a more cost effective service to the buy side?
- Next generation algos - how can algos be moved from currency pairs to multi currency basket trades to offer more effective execution of a large number of instruments?
- How is the FX algorithmic market organised as far as where the trading stations fit
Workshop B TCA Deep Dive2:00 pm - 3:00 pm Synergy Workshop: How to implement new TCA capabilities to optimise your liquidity access
- Overview of practical cutting edge techniques to optimize your execution and decision making process
- Evaluating the quality of your liquidity pool and providers using a structured data-driven approach
- Applying statistical techniques to your pre and post trade execution performance to identify significant patterns and make informed decisions
- Case study on how advanced TCA leads to more effective execution
3:00 pm - 3:05 pm Transition To Stream A
FX Markets In An Age Of Disruption
3:05 pm - 3:35 pm 360° Perspective: Front office talent – What are the critical success factors for hiring, training and retaining the best FX talent, now and in 10 years’ time?Gregory Armon-Jones, Head of Foreign Exchange & FICC e-Commerce Search, Armstrong International Christian Schoeppe, Head of FX Trading EMEA,Deutsche Asset Management
- Who will be the winners and losers in the evolving FX market structure? Which new types of job functions are now coming to the fore?
- How do you need to position your firm to attract the best talent?
- What expertise and technological know how is now needed on the buy and sell side in increasingly electronic markets?
- What are the unintended consequences of regulation which are impacting buy and sell side firm structures?
- At which types of firms do new entrants into the FX market most want to work?
Gregory Armon-JonesHead of Foreign Exchange & FICC e-Commerce Search
Christian SchoeppeHead of FX Trading EMEA
Deutsche Asset Management
3:35 pm - 4:05 pm FX Crystal Ball: How will the global FX market landscape evolve in an era of increasing geo-political and market structure disruption and fintech innovations?Lee Sanders, Head of FX and FI Dealing,AXA Investment Managers Toby Baker, Senior Foreign Exchange Trader,T. Rowe Price Paul Chappell, Chief Investment Officer,C View
- What does a post Brexit Europe and Trump administration mean for financial regulation?
- Which types of technological innovation do we expect to transform the FX market in the next 10 years?
- What macro trends are likely to impact the future of the FX market?
- The known unknowns, and the unknown unknowns: What kind of black swan events could alter the projected trends?
- What does the role of the FX trader look like in 2030: are they part robot, part human?
Lee SandersHead of FX and FI Dealing
AXA Investment Managers
Toby BakerSenior Foreign Exchange Trader
T. Rowe Price
Paul ChappellChief Investment Officer